“TRAIN Yourself for Godliness” I Timothy 4:7
These bible study resources are here to help your personal bible study even easier. Take a little while and consider the ways to transition into a student of God’s word!
Ways to Study the Bible:
1. Choose a book of the bible – Start with James, Titus, I Peter or I John. Small books are great for 1st timers! Plan to spend 3-4 weeks studying this book.
2. Start with Prayer – “I just don’t understand it”! > pray to understand it!
– 2 Tim. 3:16 > ALL scripture is useful!
– The words you are studying are inspired by God!
– Ps. 119:130 > “The unfolding of your words gives us light; it gives understanding to the people”
3. Read the entire book. Do this more than once. Look for themes (example: James > “Persevering through Trials”). Look for application principles. Look for “lessons for us” (James > my faith has to be more than just a statement; it should result in action)
4. Zoom in. Read it again. Slow down and read it verse by verse. Consider Heb. 4:12 “For the word of God is living & active”! That means its exciting and powerful!
– Zoom in closer >> Using a bible dictionary, zoom in and look at what words mean. Look at what words mean in the original language. The Hebrew writer calls the word of God “living”. Using a bible dictionary (biblehub.com) you can learn that “living” was translated from the word “Zao” in the original writing. “Zao” means -> not only living, but CAUSING to live, vivifying, quickening”. You now see a deeper meaning! God’s word causes life to come about! Since its alive, you can study it several times and discover new relevant truths!
So, pick a book in the bible, and using the links below, you can become a student of God’s Living Word!
I John 2:3 “And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments.”
We KNOW by studying HIS commandments.
Jeremiah 17:9 “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?”
Your HEART is the most deceitful thing created. Did you ever think about that? Don’t trust it (“In my heart I know I’m right about…”)!
Trust the commandments of God. Study the bible and SEE HOW to live. The bible is like a mirror. We can see the changes we need to make by looking intently in to it (James 1:23)! Not in our hearts.